My friend had a few leftover ceiling tiles from her new kitchen and I put them to good use. For almost a year, they hung, attached to a simple 2×4 frame.
You can see it in our Back-to-school dinner.
But the edges were rough and it looked unfinished and not quite what I needed for the space. So the ceiling tiles received a makeover.
I built a large frame using 1×4 and 1×3 boards. Using my Kreg jig I made a large rectangle with the 1x4s and then made it look more substantial and thicker by adding 1x3s.
Of course after making the frame, it sat in the office as I debated stain or paint. Once I settled on paint, it sat for another two weeks while I figured out a color. I ended up going to my paint stash and picking up the color I originally used for the barn door (I decided against it because I wanted the door to have a little punch!). The color wasn’t great for the door, but it was perfect for the frame.